Share this
  • Teaching Class

    Student Resources

    The following information will help you redirect students to resources that they may need.


    • Career and Job Services
      Career and Job Services advisors are dedicated to helping students and alumni advance their professional development as they make career decisions, develop job search strategies, pursue experimental opportunities and secure employment. Career and Job Services also provides career and information, resume and cover letter assistance, job postings and resources, tips for interviewing and more. Visit the Career and Job Services page for more information.
    • Counseling | CARE Team
      The Communication, Awareness, Response and Evaluation (CARE) Team exists to provide a route for communication, assessment and intervention to address behavior(s) exhibited by members of the College community, which, if left unaddressed, could impact the teaching-learning environment. This cross-functional team utilizes a threat-assessment tool provided by the National Behavior Intervention Team Association (NABITA) to help determine appropriate courses of action when confronted with reports of such behavior(s). Visit the Care Team page for more information and referral protocol.
    • Credit for Prior Learning
      Credit is sometimes given for college-level learning attained outside of college. The American Council of Education has approved training provided by many businesses and military service. A maximum of 30 hours of college credit may be earned through credit for prior learning and credit by exam.
    • Portfolio Evaluation converts knowledge or expertise into college credits via the development and faculty evaluation of a student-prepared portfolio. Credits may be awarded if learning corresponds directly to a course(s) currently being offered by Edison State. Specific knowledge and applicability to the equivalent course(s) is required.
    • Advanced Placement Credit for secondary students is awarded for specific technical or related courses without examination and without cost to said students. Eligible students must complete an approved course of study at a secondary school with which Edison State has an agreement.
    • For more information on these and other ways that students can earn credit for prior learning, contact Student Services in Room 160 on the Piqua Campus. 
    • Accessibility and Disability Services
      The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 ensure that students with disabilities are provided equal access to education and all of the opportunities and services that the institution provides.
    • Students must identify the presence of a disability and request accommodations through the Office of Accessibility and Disability Services to receive assistance. A student must request a self-identification letter and provide it to each instructor, each term. This letter is prepared by the Office of Accessibility and Disability Services and identifies the accommodation(s) that are appropriate for the student.
    • When a student presents a self-identification letter, a faculty member should meet privately with the student to review the accommodations, as they relate to your specific class. A faculty member may inquire as to how the student's disability may affect specific, required classroom tasks, but should never ask the student what is "wrong" with them or for specific details regarding their disability. A student will need to request some accommodations and services directly from the Office of Disability Services (e.g. reader for tests), but they may need to request other accommodations directly from you, as a faculty member (e.g. test to be sent to the Library, e-books).
    • Including the Disability Statement in your syllabus serves as a reminder to students to discuss the accommodations that they may need with you OR to apply for these services if they have not done so. The Disability Statement is as follows:
    • Edison State Community College will make reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. If you believe that you may need an accommodation based on the impact of a disability, contact the instructor privately with your Self-Identification Letter. If you do not have a Self-Identification Letter, contact the Office of Disability Services by email or call 937.778.8600. The Office of Disability Services is located on the Piqua Campus in Room 160. For additional information, visit the Accessibility and Disability Services page.
    • If you have questions about an accommodation or about how to best serve a student, contact the Office of Accessibility and Disability Services. For more information on your role as a faculty member, visit the Accessibility and Disability Services page and expand the "Information for Faculty" tab.
    • IT Help Desk
      The IT Help Desk is the recommended source for technology support and is equipped to assist with Edison State user ID and passwords, Edison State email, Blackboard, WebAdvisor, training and more. To receive assistance in an expedient manner, have your student or employee ID number ready prior to contacting the Help Desk.
    • Tutoring Center
      Free learning assistance and tutoring services are available to all Edison State students. Tutoring is available in many academic areas including accounting, anatomy and physiology, biology, business, chemistry, computer information technology, economics, English, mathematics and nursing. No appointment is necessary. Check tutor availability by clicking here. In addition, Edison State has made eTutoring available to all students, which allows students to obtain assistance even when the College is closed.
    • Library
      The Edison State Library encourages students, faculty, staff and community members to explore and utilize their impressive array of academic resources. Library cards may be obtained free-of-charge in Student Services, the Darke County Campus front desk, the Library information desk or by phone or email. Library cards are renewed automatically each semester that a student is enrolled at Edison State. Courtesy library cards are available free-of-charge to community members with the presentation of a picture ID. Courtesy cards are valid for one-year and may be revalidated providing there are no outstanding loans or charges. A library card must be presented at the time of check out and is also required to request and check out OhioLINK items, to access library services from off-campus and to utilize the Learning Center. 
    • Printing
      Edison State has implemented "Papercut"—a system that tracks printing costs on Edison State printers/copiers utilized by employees and students. Print jobs are housed in a personal queue that is available from any printer. Print jobs are not released until the owner's username and password are entered, keeping print documents secure. The print queue will hold a print job for 4-hours. You are not charged for queued jobs that are never printed. Printers/copiers also have the ability to scan documents and send as PDF files to your email account. Students receive a $10 printing allotment per semester (200 single-sided, black/white pages). All students will be charged for printing that exceeds this allotment. Students may add money to their printing account at any time by visiting the Edison State Library or by logging into PaperCut. Printer problems can be resolved by contacting the IT Help Desk by email or by calling 937.778.7957.
    • Student Handbook
      The Edison State Community College Student Handbook is a vital resource available to students for reviewing policies, departments and available services. Download the Student Handbook or click here to view the digital publication.
  •   Pointing Hand Left     Pointing Hand Right