Share this
  • Admissions and Transfer FAQs

    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about admission and transfer policies and procedures, as well as additional information and best practices.

  • To explore our current programs and to learn more about our transfer and career pathways, click below.


    The following outlines Edison State Community College's general admission policies.

    Number 1 Submit an application 

    If you are a returning ESCC student, check the "returning Edison State student" option on the Application to update your information.

    Number 2 Take the ACCUPLACER assessment  (if needed)
    Students who have taken the ACT or SAT within the past two (2) years, or who have successfully completed college-level math or English, may not need a placement assessment. Learn more about the ACCUPLACER assessment by clicking here.
    Number 3 Meet with a career pathways advisor. Find your career pathways advisor's contact info here.
    Create your personalized education plan.
    Number 4 Complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    Visit and enter the Edison State code: 012750. This step is a requirement for scholarship applications and determines you eligibility for grants (free money).
    Number 5 New student orientation
    This will prepare you for a successful transition to Edison State. Learn more about our locations, resources and your student accounts.

    Additional Information

    Selective Service
    Males 18 through 26 are required by state law to file a statement of selective service status with the College. This statement can be completed during the admission process or registration. Visit to register and for more information.

    Special Student Status
    Special student status admission will be granted to any student who is not attending high school and who wishes to register for technical, general education or personal interest classes. These students may register for up to five hours an academic term, or a total of twelve (12) academic credits. After a special status student has completed twelve (12) credit hours, he/she must complete the requirements for regular admission to Edison State Community College.

    Audit Students
    Applicants enrolling in courses for audit (without credit) must submit a completed application form. Auditing students receive neither grades nor credits for courses. They are not required to submit assignments or take examinations. Fees for auditing a course are the same as those for enrolling for credit. Financial aid is not available for auditing. Students wishing to audit online courses must meet readiness requirements for online classes.

    Edison State Community College follows the Ohio Board of Regents Rule 3333-1-10 for determining a student's residency status. Students may obtain a copy of this rule from the Registrar's Office. Specific exceptions and circumstances may require a review of each student's residency classification on an individual basis.

    Early Admission
    The privilege of early admission may be granted to high school students who have demonstrated appropriate ability or special talent. Students must be recommended in writing by a high school official and must satisfy any course prerequisites including placement assessment. These students may enroll for a maximum of nine (9) credit hours of course work in any academic semester and a maximum of six (6) credit hours in a summer session. 

    Edison State has various student scholarships that can help you pay for college. Click below for information on available scholarships.


    Edison State has a "2 + 2 University Transfer" program. Start at Edison State and transfer your coursework for another degree. Our small class sizes and affordable tuition make it easy to launch your bachelor's degree close to home.

    Edison State's "2 + 2 University Transfer" degrees are your gateway to over 250 bachelor's degrees at Ohio's public and private universities, as well as to colleges across the United States.

    • The Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree parallels the first two years of a bachelor of arts degree and is ideal for students pursuing majors in the social sciences, humanities and arts. 
    • The Associate of Science (A.S.) degree parallels the first two years of a bachelor of science degree and is ideal for students pursuing majors in science, technology engineering, mathematics and business. 

    If you plan to transfer, we encourage you to:

    1. Identify your transfer major and transfer school as soon as possible. 
    2. Consult with both Edison State and transfer university advisors. 
    3. Carefully follow the Ohio Transfer 36 established by the Ohio Board of Regents.

    The Edison State staff works closely with four-year institutions to keep programs up-to-date and transferable. Edison State's Transfer Agreements with area colleges and universities list the courses that you can take at Edison State to prepare for popular majors at nearby schools.

    Recent Edison State graduates have transferred to Bluffton, Bowling Green, Capital, University of Cincinnati, University of Dayton, Franklin, Miami, Ohio Northern, Ohio State, Ohio University, University of Toledo, Wittenberg, Wright State, Xavier and many more.

    Edison State's academic advisors utilize a variety of tools to ensure and maximize the transferability of your college credit to meet the degree requirements of other institutions, including:

    Ohio Higher Ed
    Interested in going to college in Ohio? The University Systems of Ohio has created a site especially for you. The goal is to help connect future college students with information on how to plan, apply, and pay for your education at Ohio's public universities, community colleges, and adult career centers.

    Ohio Transfer 36  
    By following the Ohio Transfer 36, Edison State students can satisfy the general education requirements at other Ohio colleges and universities. The Ohio Transfer 36 contains a minimum of 36 semester hours of courses in the fields of English, mathematics, arts/humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and natural and physical sciences.

    Transfer Agreements  
    Edison State has transfer agreements with area colleges and universities which list courses that you can take at Edison State to prepare for popular majors at various institutions. See the Transfer Agreements list for information on transferring credits to and from Edison State. Contact an advisor for more detailed information.

    Transferology details course equivalencies between colleges and universities in Ohio by school and by course. It enables you to find out what credits will transfer where, and how those credits apply to a program of study.

    Transfer Assurance Guides (TAGS)
    Developed by the Ohio Board of Regents and created by The University Systems of Ohio, the Transfer Assurance Guides provide information on general and specific education coursework that students can complete and transfer. See Edison State Transfer Assurance Guide approved courses here.

    Strategic Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE)
    The Strategic Ohio Council for Higher Education provides several resources for new and transfer students including:

    • School contact information
    • Degree finder for consortium schools
    • Cross registration procedures

    Edison State Community College has entered into partnerships with several universities to offer degree completion programs. These partnerships are designed for students who have completed technical A.A.S., A.A.B., or A.T.S. and A.A./A.S. degrees who wish to continue their education beyond the associate degree. Many students may take additional coursework at Edison State that will apply towards the completion of a bachelor degree.

    Click here for more information. 

    The Wright Path Program makes the transfer process between Edison State Community College and Wright State University (Dayton or Lake)—seamless and easy. Your dream of a four-year degree is now within reach through the Wright Path program. Start at Edison State with an associate degree and transfer to Wright State to complete your bachelor's degree—and enjoy the experiences and communities at both locations.

    Wright Path Program

    To receive credit for courses taken at other colleges or universities, you must have your official transcript(s) sent directly from any previous institution(s) to the Office of Registration and Records at Edison State Community College. Transcripts can be requested by contacting your previous institution. There is usually a small fee to request your transcript.

    If you need to mail your transcript(s), please use the address below.  

    Office of Registration and Records
    Edison State Community College
    1973 Edison Drive 
    Piqua, OH 45356

    Once received, your transcript(s) will be evaluated and you will receive notification via email. Once you receive this email you may review your transfer credits on MyESCC.

    ACCEPTANCE OF TRANSFER CREDITS  The following outlines Edison State's policy for the acceptance of transfer credits. Generally, Edison State will accept credits earned from other regionally accredited institutions as follows:

    • A grade of "C" or higher must have been received. Grades of pass or credit also will be accepted. Certain coursework with a grade of "D" may also transfer.
    • Credit will not be granted for courses that are defined as pre-college level by the institution where they were earned. Such courses will be noted for academic advising purposes and will show transferred hours as "0."
    • You may receive general elective credit when a course does not have a direct equivalent at Edison State.

    Edison State may accept credit from an institution that is not regionally accredited as outlined below:

    • The acceptance of work from a non-regionally accredited institution applies only to applied degree programs which include AAB, AAS and ATS degrees.
    • Student petitions for review of this course work will be on an individual basis, allowing for consideration of each student's knowledge base, recent use of course knowledge in the work place and supporting course work from educational experience. 


    To see if credit may be awarded, transcript(s) for credit earned outside of the United States must be sent to the credential evaluation agency listed below.

    Send an official copy of your international transcript(s) to:

    There are many ways to receive college credit. Up to 30 credit hours may be earned via prior learning. Credit awards must be equivalent to a particular course and elective credit is not awarded for prior learning. Students should be aware that prior learning credit awarded by Edison State may not be applicable to degrees at other colleges or universities. A student who intends to transfer to another college or university should consult with a transfer advisor at that institution concerning the transferability of Edison State prior-learning credit.

    You may receive credit for an Edison State course by using one of the methods listed below.

    Career Tech Agreements  Career Tech is a program of study that begins in a student's junior year of high school or career center and continues at Edison State Community College. Career Tech allows students to earn credits toward their college degree while they are attending high school. Click here for more Career Tech Agreement information. Career-Technical Credit is a site to review statewide articulation agreements call CTAGs.

    Advanced Placement (AP)   Edison State awards credit for appropriate scores (generally 3 or higher) on nationally-recognized Advanced Placement (AP) exams. To receive credit for Advanced Placement exams, submit your scores to Edison State Community College, Registration and Records Office for evaluation. Appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as credit by exam. There is no charge for the posting of Advanced Placement credit.

    Edison State Proficiency Exams   You may receive credit for some Edison State Community College courses by way of an internal proficiency or 'test out' procedure. Students register for a proficiency exam, pay the appropriate fee and are contacted by the proctor to arrange an appointment for the exam. Once a proficiency exam is successfully completed and passed, appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as credit by exam. There is no refund for failed exams. For additional information about test out options, contact an advisor.

    • You may not earn credit by exam for a course you have already completed at Edison State. A course is defined as 'completed' if you received a grade of A, B, C, D, F, S, U, IP or W.
    • If you are enrolled in a course and you would like to 'test out,' you must drop the course before you can take the test. The course must be dropped within the drop period. You will be required to pay the appropriate fee before attempting to 'test out' of a course. 
    • If you do not pass the exam, you may not retake the exam for a period of one year.

    College Level Examination Program (CLEP)   Edison State awards credit for appropriate scores on the nationally-recognized CLEP exam. The College Board website provides study and review resources for CLEP exams. You are encouraged to visit this site for study tips, test samples and additional resources. To receive credit for CLEP, submit your scores to Edison State Community College, Registration and Records Office. Appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as a credit by exam. There is no charge for the posting of credit by exam. To schedule a CLEP exam, email or phone 937.778.7959.

    DSST Subject Standardized Tests   Edison State will award credit for DSST exams. To receive credit, submit your DSST transcript to Edison State Community College, Registration and Records Office for evaluation. Appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as credit by exam.

    Professional Exams   You may be eligible for credit for the successful completion of nationally-recognized professional exams that support the mastery of skills or competencies related to your Edison State degree or certificate requirements. Students may be eligible to receive credit for an Edison State course or group of courses related to the skills or competencies tested on the exam. Credit awards are based on the American Council of Education recommendations. An advisor can recommend course equivalencies for professional exams.

    Portfolio Evaluation  You may be eligible to receive credit for the demonstrated mastery of skills or competencies through work or prior learning experience. Credits may be awarded if learning corresponds directly to a course currently offered at Edison State. Specific documentation and verification of knowledge and applicability to the equivalent course(s) is required. This procedure measures your achievement of specific course objectives as evaluated by subject experts. You should discuss this opportunity with an advisor to clarify questions about portfolio components, requirements and procedures. For more information and to begin the Portfolio process click here.


    • It is important to connect and communicate with your Career Pathways Advisor, Faculty Advisor and Instructors throughout the semester. They are your champions for success and want to see you thrive. 
    • Get to know the other students in your classes. They can provide support and can be great study partners.


    • Be sure to attend all classes and be on time.
    • If you know you will be late or missing class, be proactive and email your instructor as soon as possible.  
    • Be sure you check Blackboard course announcements and your Edison State email daily. 
    • Participate in class and ask questions of your instructor whenever necessary. Meet with your instructor during office hours for additional support and guidance.


    • Utilize the Library and Tutoring Center for study help and free tutoring services.
    • The Student Resource Center and Pantry is located in Room 163 at the Piqua campus, across from the Student Affairs Office. You can find resource information on local mental health, child care, insurance, transportation, emergency housing, rental assistance, utility assistance and more. 

    Time Management

    • Utilize a calendar to keep track of important dates and projects.
    • Avoid studying for extended periods of time. Instead, study in short intervals with a break in between.  
    • In addition to your class and study time, be sure to allow time for self-care. This will help you to focus on your studies. For example, a student lounge, fitness center and courtyard are available.

    Financial Aid

    • File you FAFSA.
    • Apply for scholarships.  
    • Check your Student Finance and Financial Aid tabs on MyESCC. 
    • Email Financial Aid for more information.