Workforce Development & Work-Based Learning
The Office of Workforce Development & Work-Based Learning is committed to developing an employer's greatest asset—their employees—and contributes to the economic success of area businesses, industries and private sector organizations by providing affordable and convenient professional development opportunities. The department offers an array of services that are invaluable to economic success and that provide training that can help you manage people and projects and provide professional advancement. The results are increased productivity, higher employee retention and greater profitability. Employers call this a good investment. We call it maximizing potential.
What are we up to?
Explore interesting articles and additional information in our Workforce Development & Work-Based Learning newsletter. Click on the cover image to view the digital publication or click here for a downloadable PDF.
What is customized training?
Whether your focus is on reducing downtime or improving productivity, you want to make sure that the time you and your employees spend on training initiatives pays off. Studies have shown that companies that invest more heavily in training and development are more successful and profitable. We offer tailor-made, customized training—delivered at your facility or at ours—on the days and times that work best for you. Contact
Brandi Olberding at 937.381.1533 to discuss your specific interests and needs.
Technical Program and Course Training
The need for advanced technical skills for today's industrial employee will only continue to increase. By providing progressive programs, from basic electrical and mechanical to automation and robotics, we can enhance and improve your employees' technical skills. That means greater profitability for your organization.We offer a wide variety of training to meet the technical demands of industry, including the following:
- CNC Machine Tool Operator Training Courses and learning labs consist of safety, shop math, measurements, manual mills, manual lathes, CNC mill and lathes
- Fundamental Welding Courses and learning labs consist of safety for hot work, welding metallurgy basics, plasma cutting/oxyacetylene, stick welding, MIG and TIG welding—with extensive practice and review
- Maintenance Technician Essential Training Courses and learning labs consist of safety, shop practices and measurements, maintenance basics, mechanical systems, hydraulics and pneumatics, basic electricity, industrial controls, advanced industrial controls, programmable logic controllers (PLC), advanced programmable logic controllers and robotics
- Manufacturing Associate Training Online courses with a hands-on validation lab on campus. Prepares individuals for high-demand, entry-level careers including assemblers, manufacturing associates and production operators. This training program can be used for an effective onboarding program for new employees. Certification is optional.
- Medical Are you ready for a rewarding, in-demand career where you can put your compassions and caring skills to work? The State Tested Nursing Assistant (STNA) learning opportunity at Edison State provides students with local classroom and clinical environment training led by knowledgeable and experienced instructions. Click here for information and upcoming course offerings.
Office Productivity | Computer Training
Would you like to increase your productivity or efficiency? Learning new skills or updating current ones is a constant challenge for every employee. Just when you feel you have mastered the latest updates on your software, there are changes and adaptations to learn. We can customize training to meet the specific needs of your organization, at times and dates convenient to you. We have computer labs to accommodate training several people at once, or we can train on-site at your facility. Workshops include the following:
- Microsoft Word
- Computer Basics
Want to explore our current course listings?
Explore interesting articles and additional information in our Workforce Development & Work-Based Learning newsletter. Click on the cover image above to view the digital publication or click here for a downloadable PDF.
Leadership and Professional Development
Are you a professional seeking to advance your skills? We offer courses designed to enhance your career and the skills you bring to your profession. Whether you are a professional seeking certification in your field, are already certified and need re-certification credits or are someone who wants to enhance your existing skill set—we have a class for you. The following courses, in addition to being offered periodically as open enrollment courses, can also be delivered at a time and place convenient to you and your organization.
Employees are often promoted into leadership or supervisory roles without learning how to lead or supervise. The result is increased turnover and reduced productivity. We offer a variety of training courses that can help develop your employees in their current positions as well as preparing them for leadership roles. Courses are offered as open enrollment sessions or we can customize the course to meet the specific needs of your organization.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Practical Project Management
- SHRM-CP | SHRM-SCP Certification Review
- Addressing Poor Performance
- Building and Sustaining Trust
- Coaching: Move People Forward
- Communication: Connect Through Leadership
- Driving Change
- Leading Teams: Achieve More Together
- Resolving Workplace Conflict
- Peer Today, Boss Tomorrow
- Time Management
Professional Development for HR Professionals
Spring 2023 SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP Certification Review Course
here for information.
Online Courses with
In partnership with ed2go, we offer online enrollment programs designed to provide the skills necessary to acquire professional level positions for many in-demand occupations—including Business, Management, Computer Technology Career Training & Development and more. This is the perfect way to stay ahead of the growing needs of any business professional.
Learn new skills in just six weeks. Select from a wide range of highly interactive online courses that are only six weeks in length and begin every month. All are led by expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. The courses are affordable, fun, fast, convenient and geared just for you. Click
here to begin.
Sample Short-Term Course Options
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel 2019/Office 365
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
Prepare for a new career. Our online career training programs prepare you for employment in some of today's hottest careers with comprehensive, affordable and self-paced online certificate programs. Begin any time and learn at your own pace. Upon successful completion of all required coursework, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. Click
here to begin.
Sample Career Course Options
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Pharmacy Technician
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and Black Belt
National Testing Network (NTN)
The National Testing Network (NTN) contracts with public safety departments to test candidates for potential jobs. Edison State Community College offers the NTN written exams. Candidates will register for and schedule the exam online (button below), selecting the job and department of their choosing and Edison State Community College as their testing location.
Register for NTN