Share this
  • Accessibility and Disability Services

    Find out if you are eligible, how to apply and what services are available. Additional resources are also available to you as a student, parent, teacher or counselor.

    Mission  The mission of the Accessibility and Disability Services Department at Edison State Community College is to enhance each student's individual educational experience by preventing discrimination on the basis of disability. The right to reasonable accommodations allowing equal access to Edison State Community College programs and services for individuals with disabilities who request them, is ensured under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).


    Individuals with disabilities must adhere to the Accessibility and Disability Services application process in order to receive services. Students should begin the Accessibility and Disability Services application process two to four months prior to the semester in which they will begin classes. The student may be required to provide official documentation of his or her qualifying disability to Accessibility and Disability Services before services can be provided. The admissions process and criteria are the same for all students who apply to Edison State regardless of disability status. Students with qualifying disabilities are still required to meet essential academic standards and technical requirements of all programs and courses. The ADA defines a qualified person with a disability as someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity.

  • Getting Started

    To get started, first obtain a Disability Services Application packet. You may pick up a copy of the Disability Services Application packet at the Piqua Campus | Room 160 or download and print the forms below. Students are encouraged to register with Disability Services two to four months prior to their enrollment at Edison State Community College. Students are encouraged to contact Admissions to apply for admission to the college prior to applying for Disability Services.

    STEP ONE  Submit all of the following documentation.

    Complete the following two forms.

    Complete the following forms regarding your disability or disabilities.

    In addition, please provide a list of services that you received in high school and/or other schools attended (Individual Education Plan from high school or Letter of Services from previous colleges attended)

    STEP TWO  Schedule a pre-service interview.

    Once all documentation has been submitted, contact Student Services at 937.778.7850 to schedule a pre-service interview with Disability Services. The pre-service interview is designed to assess:

    • the services that a student is eligible to receive based upon the documentation submitted,
    • disability-related needs,
    • preparations for attending college.

    You and your parents or other advocate are invited to attend the pre-service interview which should be scheduled prior to entering Edison State.

    Additional Information
    All documents submitted are placed in a confidential student file and will not be returned to the applicant nor will they be forwarded to any agency, college or university. We suggest that you submit copies and retain the original documents for your records.

    It is important to remember that the Disability Services Application is a separate application process. You will still need to go through the application process necessary to be admitted to the college and/or any selective admission programs.

    Please submit all completed forms to
    Disability Services
    1973 Edison Drive
    Piqua, OH 45356
    or Fax to 937.778.4692

    Services and Accommodations

    All services and accommodations are tailored to meet the individual's needs and are based upon the documentation that the student provides to the Disability Services department.

    Available Services

    • Testing accommodations are determined by Disability Services, but scheduled and proctored in collaboration with the Library and Testing Services.
      • Note Taking Assistance
    • Materials in Alternative Formats
      • Textbooks in Audio Format—Register with Bookshare to see if the textbooks you need are available.
      • Electronic format
      • Large Print
    • Recorded Lectures
    • Interpreters
    • Adaptive Technology
    • Temporary Accessible Parking


    Disability Services views all materials pertaining to a student's disability as confidential. All student disability-related information is housed in the Disability Services Office. Only Disability Services staff members have access to these files.

    Disability information may be released only, when and if, a student submits a signed Release of Information form.

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), do not allow faculty or other individuals access to disability-related information.

    According to AHEAD,"it is only necessary to share with the faculty the information that a student has a documented disability and need for accommodation(s)." Faculty members have no need to know the nature of the disability, "only that it has been appropriately verified by the individual (office) assigned this responsibility on behalf of the institution."

    Disability Services will retain all disability documentation for six years after a students leaves the College.

    Additional Resources

    The goal of Bookshare® is to make the world of print accessible to people with disabilities. With a dynamic leadership team, dedicated members and capable partners, Bookshare is making this goal a reality. Disability Services has a membership with Bookshare.

    U.S. Department of Education
    The U.S. Department of Education includes information and resources especially for individuals with disabilities and their families.

    Affordable Colleges Online
    Affordable Colleges Online provides study tips for college students with dyslexia and dysgraphia, including assistive technology, test-taking strategies and other resources.

    Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities
    Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities is the State of Ohio agency that partners with Ohioans with disabilities to achieve quality employment and independence, as well as making determinations on Social Security disability through the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation, Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired and the Division of Disability Determination.

    Golden Buckeye Program
    All Ohioans age 60 and older, as well as adults age 18-59 who have disabilities as defined by Social Security, are eligible to participate in The Golden Buckeye Program and qualify for a free Golden Buckeye Card. Those with the Golden Buckeye Card can save at retailers across the state.

    ADHD Support
    Many adults go for years unaware that they have ADHD. They assume, as many people do, that ADHD is a "kid's" disorder. There are many resources available to help adults with ADHD. Find out more about the signs, symptoms and latest studies in attention research by clicking here.

    Psychological or Learning Assessments

    Learning Solutions
    Learning Solutions provides evaluation, diagnosis and documentation of educationally-related learning problems such as specific learning disabilities and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in adolescent and adult learners. Learning Solutions services are available on a sliding fee scale and they may be able to travel to Edison State to provide students with on-campus testing. For more information, please visit the Learning Solutions website or call 937.417.7529.

    The Assessment Clinic
    The Assessment Clinic is affiliated with the School of Professional Psychology at Wright State University. It is located at the Duke E. Ellis Human Development Institute on the corner of West Third Street and Edwin C. Moses Boulevard. The Assessment Clinic was developed to provide psychoeducational and psychological assessments for clients affected by problems in learning, mental health, and drug and alcohol abuse. Services are provided to children, adolescents and adults. Written reports are prepared for clients and referral sources whenever possible. A sliding fee scale is used to determine costs of services. Costs do not usually interfere with providing services. For more information on accessing services, please visit The Assessment Clinic website or phone 937.775.4300.

    Your Role as a Faculty Member

    The Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 ensures that students with disabilities are provided equal access to education and all of the opportunities and services that the institution provides.

    Students must identify the presence of a disability and request accommodations through Disability Services to receive accommodations. Students are asked to complete an application for Disability Services, Release of Information and provide documentation of their disability. The student will receive an Approved Accommodations letter listing accommodations that they may use and recommendations based on the documentation they provided to Disability Services.

    Students must request a Self-Identification Letter each term to give to each instructor. The Self-Identification letter is prepared by Disability Services and lists the accommodations that are appropriate for the student.

    When a student presents you with a Self-Identification Letter, meet privately with the student and review the accommodations as they relate to your class. You may inquire as to how the student's disability may affect specific tasks required in your class, but never ask the student what is "wrong" with them or for details about their disability.

    A student will need to request some accommodations and services directly from Disability Services (e.g. reader for tests), but they may need to request other accommodations directly from you (e.g. test be sent to the library, e-books).

    The Disability Statement in your syllabus serves as a reminder to students to discuss the accommodations they need with you or to apply for services if they have not yet done so. The recommended statement is below.

    Edison State Community College will make reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. If you believe you may need an accommodation based on the impact of a disability, contact the instructor privately with your self-identification letter. If you do not have a self-identification letter, contact Disability Services by emailing or by calling 937.778.8600. Disability Services is located on the Piqua Campus in Room 160.

    If you have questions about an accommodation or how to best serve a student, contact Disability Services.

    Requested accommodations are not retroactive; that is, you are not required to re-administer tests or make adjustments to course activities that have already occurred if the student makes a request late in the term. However, from the date you receive the Self-Identification Letter moving forward you must make the necessary adjustments.

    Information about a student's disability is classified as health information and is confidential. Disability Services cannot share information about a student's disability unless the student has granted permission to share this information or there is a demonstrated institutional need to know. With the student's permission, designated faculty and/or staff will be advised only of the information that they need to know to accommodate the student or to protect the safety and health of the student or others. Consider any communication regarding a student's disability or special needs to be confidential. Destroy any written communication you receive at the end of each term.

    Reasonable Accommodations
    Reasonable accommodation of disability is typically an adjustment to the learning environment that eliminates or reduces physical or instructional barriers to learning encountered by a student. The adjustment must be based on the individual student's documented need and tailored to the specific student's disability. Both the student's physical accessibility to the classroom, as well as the ability to fully participate in all course activities, are considered in the process of providing reasonable accommodations.

    An accommodation is unreasonable: 

    • when it creates a change in requirements that are essential to the program of instruction;
    • fundamentally alters the nature of the program;
    • imposes an undue financial or administrative burden;
    • or poses an appreciable threat to personal or public safety.

    If you feel a request is unreasonable, discuss your concerns with Disability Services. If there is a difference of opinion, the College will consult with appropriate department administrators and make a determination regarding the appropriateness of the accommodation.

    Faculty Responsibilities in Providing Accommodations

    Students may need test accommodations such as extra time, a distraction-reduced environment, a test reader and/or scribe or access to adaptive software. You may work with your student to set up these arrangements or you may choose to use the Library Testing Services to provide accommodations.

    When a student needs a reader or scribe for exams, you will need to assist the student in completing the Testing Request Form. If the date of an exam changes, notify the Edison State Library at 937.778.7950, as soon as possible to ensure that a proctor will be present to assist the student.

    Tests are scheduled as close as possible to the date and time that the test is given in the classroom. However, it may be necessary to begin a test earlier, later or on a different day in order to accommodate a student's classes and/or work schedule.

    For tests administered in the Library, please send a completed Testing Request Form and the student's copy of the exam to the Library no later than the day before the exam. You may deliver the completed Testing Request Form and copy of the exam in person or via email to

    Note-Taking Assistance
    There are different ways to accommodate a student who requires note-taking assistance. Factors that need to be considered to determine the best option are the student's abilities, the nature of the course and your teaching methods. These following are the most typical options.

    1. Faculty-Provided Notes
      These include the PowerPoint presentation outline of your lecture. Posting your PowerPoint slides in Blackboard before class allows the student to review them before class and use them during class to augment their own notes. This is a universal design that benefits all students.
    2. Student Volunteer
      If you do not use PowerPoint for your lectures or the student is unable to take notes independently, this may be the best option. Ask your student if they would like you to request a volunteer note-taker. To recruit a classmate as a volunteer note-taker, Disability Services offers free NCR notepaper and the use of a photocopy machine. Never identify your student to the class in any way. You may wish to make a statement such as;

    "We have a student in our class who needs assistance with note-taking. Please see me after class to volunteer. You will be provided with note-taking paper. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated."

    You may consider offering incentives to students who volunteer (such as extra credit points). If you and your student have difficulty setting up a note-taking system, contact Disability Services.

    Recording Lectures
    Reviewing material presented orally in class may be a vital study aid for some students and they must be permitted to record class lectures. You may ask that a student sign a statement promising that recordings will be utilized for personal use only and will not be shared. Please note that use of LiveScribe pens follows the same guideline as the use of tape or digital recorders.

    Sign Language Interpreters and Real-Time Captioning
    Sign language interpreters and real-time captioning (transcribers) provide communication access services for students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. A student requiring these services will enter their request via Disability Services. You may request a consultation with Disability Services to better understand the role of an interpreter or transcriber in your class. Please note, it is good practice to repeat questions and comments that are made in the classroom so the interpreter or transcriber can hear and include that information.

    Alternate Media Formats
    Students may contact you about printed materials that need to be adapted into an alternative format (such as audio or electronic). They may request copies of your handouts and overheads or text information so that printed materials can be ready at the start of the term. They may ask to borrow an extra copy of the text while their texts are used for production.

    Media Captioning
    All videotapes and DVDs used in class must be captioned or subtitled. Students needing this accommodation may contact you early in the term about your media plans for the course. If your material is not already captioned, Disability Services requires a minimum of three weeks to produce a captioned copy. 

    Notice Under the Americans with Disabilities Act

    In accordance with the requirements of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Edison State Community College will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in its services, programs or activities.

    Employment  Edison State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices and complies with all regulations promulgated by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission under Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

    Effective Communication  Edison State Community College will generally, upon request, provide appropriate aids and services leading to effective communication for qualified persons with disabilities so that they can participate equally in Edison State programs, services and activities, including qualified sign language interpreters, documents in Braille and other ways of making information and communication accessible to people who have speech, hearing or vision impairments.

    Modifications to Policies and Procedures  Edison State Community College will make all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services and activities. For example, service animals are welcome at Edison State Community College, even though pets are generally prohibited.

    Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a program, service or activity of Edison State Community College, should contact Marissa Teneyque in Disability Services by email or by calling 937.778.8600 as soon as possible, but no later than 48 hours before the scheduled event.

    The Americans with Disabilities Act does not require Edison State Community College to take any action that would fundamentally alter the nature of its programs or services, or impose an undue financial or administrative burden.

    Complaints regarding a program, service or activity of Edison State Community College being inaccessible to persons with disabilities, should be directed to Marissa Teneyque in Disability Services by emailor by calling 937.778.8600. 

    Edison State Community College will not place a surcharge on a particular individual with a disability or any group of individuals with disabilities to cover the cost of providing auxiliary aids/services or reasonable modifications of policy, such as retrieving items from locations that are open to the public but are not accessible to persons who use wheelchairs. 

    Grievance Procedure Under the Americans with Disability Act

    This Grievance Procedure is established to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). It may be used by anyone who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability in the provision of services, activities, programs or benefits by Edison Community College. The College's Personnel Policy governs employment-related complaints of disability discrimination.

    The complaint should be in writing and contain information about the alleged discrimination such as name, address, phone number of complainant and location, date and description of the problem. Alternative means of filing complaints, such as personal interviews or tape recordings of the complaint, will be made available for persons with disabilities, upon request.

    The complaint should be submitted by the grievant and/or his/her designee as soon as possible, but no later than 60 calendar days after the alleged violation to

    Marissa Teneyuque
    Disability Services
    1973 Edison Drive
    Piqua, Ohio 45356

    Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the complaint, Disability Services, or their designee, will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions. Within 15 calendar days of the meeting, Disability Services, or their designee, will respond in writing, and, where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, such as large print, Braille or audio tape. The response will explain the position of the College and offer options for substantive resolution of the complaint.

    If the response by Disability Services, or their designee, does not satisfactorily resolve the issue, the complainant and/or his/her designee, may appeal the decision within 15 calendar days after receipt of the response to the Dean of Student Affairs, or his/her designee.

    Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the appeal, the Dean of Student Affairs, or his/her designee, will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions. Within 15 calendar days after the meeting, the Dean of Student Affairs, or his/her designee, will respond in writing, and, where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, with a final resolution of the complaint.

    All written complaints received by Disability Services, or their designee, appeals to the Dean of Student Affairs, or his/her designee, and responses from these two offices, will be retained by the College for at least three years.

    Vehicle Disability Plates/Placards

    Students needing long- or short-term disability plates or placards for their vehicle(s) should contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in their area. Detailed information can be found on the Bureau of Motor Vehicles website.